HELP US END DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IN SARNIA-LAMBTON BY PARTICIPATING IN WALK A MILE
We are so thrilled with the outcome of our Walk a Mile fundraising event for 2021. Those walking showed their support for survivors and helped to raise awareness on domestic abuse and gender-based violence. We exceeded our fundraising goal raising $19,000!!!!
We would like to thank all of our sponsors, participants, volunteers, staff & board members, and community members who made this possible. Without the support of our community, our important work of offering emergency shelter, counselling, outreach, and transitional services to abused women and children would not be possible. Thank you Sarnia-Lambton!!!
WHY IS THIS WALK IMPORTANT?
- 6000+ women and children sleep in shelters every night in Canada because they are escaping domestic violence at home.
- On average, every 6 days a woman in Canada is killed by her intimate partner.
- Since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, domestic violence rates throughout Canada have increased up to 30%.
- From January- March 2021 alone, there have been 10 confirmed femicides in Ontario.
- Each year, over 40,000 arrests result from domestic violence.
- The cost of violence against women in Canada in health care, criminal justice, social services and lost wages is $4.2 billion per year.
Special thanks to our generous sponors